Monday, January 9, 2012

Make a change

The clock struck 10:55 a.m. I was dreading the rest of this day so much. I didn't like this school. I didn't like these teachers and i don't like the people here. Why would my parents make me come to this rotten school? Why cant i just go with my friends at White brook high school. The worst thing about this school is that there is no freaking Girls basketball. My life is this game. I forget all stress, pain, weakness when i play my game. I have no friends and i kinda feel alone. I don't really show my feelings much but to tell you the truth i really don't care anymore. I just wanna be myself and make friends and try to get a girls basketball  program running here.I know its going to be hard but i have to make a difference somehow and stand out in the crowd i need to do this.
The next day i was sitting at lunch all by myself when i heard the announcements come on. “ Boys basketball tryouts in the main gym next Wednesday at 4:00.” i was furious, i never knew that there was a guys basketball program and there wasn't a girls. The first thing i did was marched right on down to the principles office and gave him a piece of my mind. “ Mr. Evans this year i am new to this school and i have a huge complaint to speak to you about sir.” “Well of course go on” , Mr. Evans responded. “ There is a boys basketball team and not a girls team? this is ridiculous, and very unfair”. “ Well I'm sorry but this school does not have enough girls interested in playing basketball and also the school does not have enough funding to have a team.” “ Well I'm going to do something about this sir, ill be back tomorrow”. I walked out of that office with a little bit of hope and dignity and i knew that there was something i could do to play my game.
That night i felt determined to find something to prove that somehow i could play for the guys team or make a team up for myself. I knew i could do but had to find something that explained everything well. After about 4 hours of searching and typing and writing and reading i found it. Title IX , what this means is that the law states that "no person in the United States shall on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. In high school terms meaning if you are a girl and a guy at your school  can play basketball and you cant that is against the law. Everything needs to be equal. if they cant afford a girls basketball team, i guess ill have to play with the big boys. I can do it i know i can.
The next day i came to school with confidence to show that i can do anything i put my heart to. I went into Mr. Evans office knowing I'm going to change how this school looks at me. I walked in and put everything i did last night on his desk. He looked at me and smiled. I knew i would be playing ball  Wednesday at 4:00, and i was right he called me down to his office at the end of the day and told me 10 words. “ You better be ready to play with the  boys”, and boy was I. Wednesday came so fast like a a shooting star. I walked into that gym with confidence and a little bit nervous. A deep breath and a red bull was all it took for me to make starting varsity on the boys basketball team. Well also alot of running, bruises, water, sweat, and teamwork and hardwork.  i knew i could do something to change what i wanted.
The first game came and i was so nervous. I knew i got the guys respect and i knew they had my back. Nobody knew i was on the boys team yet. Only the boys did and we all wanted it to be a surprise when the whole school went to our first game at the high school at 7:00 p.m. sharp. When the announcer called the 5 starting players each one went out one by one out of the locker room. “ Lizzie Maxer” , everyone in the crowd was quiet for a second and then i ran out and they looked at me and went crazy. I never knew people could go that crazy ever.

That game i made 15 points including 2 free throw shots, and one 3 point shot. That whole season i made 153 points. I felt like this one season changed my whole perspective  on this school. I had 20 guy friends and made a lot of girl friends too. After that season, we had an annual banquet. That night was probably the best night of my high school career. They called my name out and i stood up. The whole team went on stage and gave me something no one else could have, a girls basketball team. I actually inspired so many people that i changed this school and they presented a girls basketball team to me. From then on i played basketball till i graduated. After that every year till now i come back to coach. I never gave up on my team. I always tell people to never quit, never give up, do what you love, because one day you'll change something that means the world to you.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I would like the reader to understand that no matter how hard you work something good will come out of it even if it takes a little while. To never give up.
    2. I thought it was easy to write about basketball because i play it. I think it was easy to explain that you need to work hard because i do.
    3. I thought writing about how she was coming to a new school was hard because i never moved or switched schools. I have always had the same friends so that part was pretty difficult.
    4. I would like to know what else i can add. What can improve my writing. Do i need more dialogue or more characters?

    ReplyDelete